Monday, December 10, 2007

Antique & Vintage Textiles ~ Buying Expertise

Visit The Gatherings, to see all of the beautiful antique and vintage textiles I have ~ antique clothing, hats, accessories, children's clothing, vintage bed and table linens, antique children's toys, vintage sewing notions, quilts and so much more!

Subscribe to The Gatherings Antique Vintage by Email

I advertise my items as antique textiles or vintage textiles (antique prior to the 1920’s and vintage from 1920’s - 1940’s as basically this is my time line of selling). I am interested in all textiles but my passion lies with clothing & accessories, bed & table linens, laces & sewing notions. These are the buying and selling areas I have been the most involved and the area I have gained the most experience. If you have purchased from me or planning to purchase you are buying not only the item but you are buying my expertise.

I have been dealing with cloth items for 30 years buying & selling in many venues including a brick & mortar store. Over the years my knowledge has expanded by sharing and gaining knowledge through other collectors and dealers. Also reading resource books both new and old plus all types of articles written on period textiles. Over the course of years I have visit museums studying the various textiles on display. But my vast knowledge has been acquired through the handling & studying textiles that cross my path. This is, in itself, the best learning experience one could ever hope to gain. Seeing, feeling, comparing is a great educator as there is history to cloth & looking for those clues unlocks the secret to the age.

Looking for clues to the age of this lovely doll dress first lets examine the fabric. It is of a lovely calico with a turquoise & reddish small print on the cream background. The fabric dates to about the mid 1860's or 1870's. The dress is a two piece with the bodice a long jacket style. A bit longer in the back than front suggesting a bustle. The skirt is full and fairly even. The sleeves are on a bishop style. Again, suggesting the dress is also later 1860's or early 1870's. The dress has both handstitching as well as machine stitching (tredle please - no electric here). All these are small clues but putting the clues together starts to give a time line on the item.

No comments: